Friday, January 12, 2007

Two dates today

Well, things have been percolating along. The bad news is that none of the young women I wrote about here (latter part) are interested in me. My former teacher had the courtesy to let me know. The others just didn't return my calls. Ah, well, I found out, and I can move on. In hindsight, I think of them as a distraction.

The good news is that I've been meeting more women through eHarmony. I wrote about that in the same post, first part. The lunch date that I spoke of in the future tense back then was enjoyable, but we both felt that there wasn't a spark, and it was better to not date. Things were quiet over the holidays, but then there was something of a surge starting around New Years. I've had several interesting online interactions, and today I had two first dates.

I had lunch with L. I really enjoyed her company, and it was clear this was mutual. We had lots to talk about and laughed a lot, and tended to see things the same way. I can't say I'm feeling any sexual chemistry with her, but there's certainly some sort of chemistry between us, and I'm going to give us some time to see if a sexual interest develops. She's fun to be with, so "giving it time" will be quite pleasant, I think. And there were just two little instances of asymmetry today that felt oh, so right to me. L picked up the check, saying "Let me pay for this." I said, "Well, if you're sure..." and she was, so I let her take charge of it. And then I said I would pay the next time, "I want there to be a next time", and L quickly agreed that she did, too. It felt good letting her take the lead on this, doing it her way, but making my committment clear. And then when we parted I pointed out that I would wait for her to call, since she had my phone numbers but I didn't have hers. L made no offer to share a number. She asked if I was OK with not knowing hers, and I assured her I was quite comfortable with it. Thinking it over this evening, I find it interesting that she wouldn't share a number even though she's sure she wants to see me again. Apparently she likes this asymmetry. So, two little things, but both felt quite natural. Oh, and L is a successful career woman. Some bumps in the last few years, but clearly a woman of intellect, drive, and accomplishment. Of course, I find this appealing.

After this very long lunch I went home, walked my dog, and took a nap. I was surprised how long I slept, well over an hour. I guess I needed some down time between dates. This was less than ideal, meeting two women the same day. It's important to me to be present with a woman I'm dating, and give her my full attention. I think the nap helped with that.

Well, dinner was a different experience. I didn't feel much of a personal connection with my date, let along a sexual interest. At the end I asked if she was interested in meeting again, and she said she didn't know, she'd have to think about it. I said I felt the same way, I needed to at least sleep on it. So we parted cordially, but with no declarations of intent. And that felt just fine to me.

It was a good day. May the percolation continue...

No comments: