Monday, December 4, 2006

My unused calling card

I'm trying to be open to the possibility that I might meet the woman who will become my dominating life partner in an unexpected way, just in the course of day-to-day life. Perhaps a woman I see on the street will catch my eye, and I will be able to catch hers. I do enjoy watching women walk, particularly women who stride with confidence, comfortable in their bodies and aware of their attractiveness. Add some flattering clothes, perhaps some serious boots, and I can be instantly smitten.

Several times I have caught the eye of such a woman as she walked by and shared my reaction with her. A smile and a nod, perhaps a hand to my chest, acknowledging that my heart had skipped a beat. She smiled at my reaction and walked on.

I want to be bold enough to speak to her, to tell her that she is gorgeous, and to thank her for brightening my day with her presence. I want to ask her if I could return the favor by doing something for her, to make her day a bit easier, or more fun. Could I carry a package, run an errand, get her a cab? I want to make an open-ended offer to her--doesn't have to be something right now. If she thinks of something days later, she could call me. So I carry with me some calling cards that I had made up.

Service with a Smile
My full name
My cell phone number


There's a picture of a cup of coffee, a symbol of hospitality and service.

I've carried these cards for over a year. I haven't given one out yet. I'm shy, and this does seem very forward. I worry that it might seem too weird, or threatening. I don't want to cause any woman discomfort.

I'm not even sure that giving the card is a good idea. If I can't engage in the conversation, and get her interest that way, the card would be pointless. So first, I have to take the step of speaking up, of telling a woman how impressed I am. Not just with a smile and a gesture, but with words. It's great to notice confident and attractive women on the street, but I want more. And the next step is up to me.

I can do this.

No comments: